Saturday, March 13, 2010

Close - but no cigar - yet!

So a little update with what I've been having fun with over the last few weeks...

Gestational diabetes - I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It's like Weight Watchers, except if you cheat everyone is going to tell you it will hurt the baby. And I'm pretty sure most of us know what telling someone they can't have something does for how much they want that thing!

So far I've been controlling it fairly well, there have been a few times when my blood sugar spiked and one or two low readings, but generally these were because I couldn't stick to my planned diet - work lunch, train delay etc.

I haven't really gained any weight in the last 4 weeks and I had been packing it on before then, so at least I can console myself with that.

The other complications - let's just say that if I am not posting about this online then you know it must be something pretty embarassing! But suffice to say combined with the GD, I am not having a fun time.

And then - it happened.

I was at work on Wednesday, busy cursing away at the incompetents that came before me, when I got a little contraction. 10 minutes later, another. Then, 10 minutes later, another. It got to about 90 minutes of this and I called John. Then I called the OB. John came all the way downtown to pick me up from work, we raced up to the OB's office, they hooked me up to all the bingy machines, and then - they stopped.

They tested me for a substance called fetal fibronectin which is only present in the 1-2 weeks before the baby decides they will show up, so luckily this came back negative. No BBL for at least another 10-14 days.

I have been bedrested ever since, luckily since the above-mentioned test came back negative I could stay home rather than have to be admitted. I am cleared to go back to work on Monday but I am very nervous. So I will be taking it even easier than I thought possible between now and then, and taking my sweet ol' time to make it in on Monday morning.

If it happens again before my planned last day of work on March 31st I'll be put on disability which means no more work, which sounds nice but I'd rather not have any more contractions thanks! So we'll see if I make it to 3/31. Here's hoping.

The whole thing made me realise how not ready I am to push this little fella out yet. I need more time to mentally prepare myself! So I've been busy with the Lamaze DVDs and my hospital bag is now fully packed.

Let's hope there are plenty more weeks until I need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment